Re: The Purpose of WG participants Review (was Re: Purpose of IESG Review)

Not entirely true.

It is true that getting "management positions" (chairs, AD, NomCom) requires meeting attendance. But a non-attender can get recognition for quality technical points, and can even progress technical work. RFC 4478 was published long before I attended my first meeting. My own working group (WebSec) has document authors who never attend meetings. In other areas there are frequent and prolific contributors, who either never attended a meeting or have quit attending them years ago. Even the directorates have such people.

So no, you probably can't get a dot for your badge without actually having one, but you can become "prominent" in the sense that people might say "this document hasn't had enough review. Let's ask so-and-so to read it", or "I'm putting together a design team for foo. Let's see if we can get so-and-so to join"

Yoav