Re: Purpose of IESG Review

On Apr 12, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Martin Rex <mrex@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm currently seeing a document with some serious defects in
> IETF Last Call (rfc2560bis) and an apparent desire to have
> it Rubberstamped by the IESG (recycling at Proposed Standard).

FWIW, I raised the same question during IESG review.   It didn't seem like a "serious defect" to me, but it did seem like a strange design choice.   I ultimately withdrew my objection after we walked through the problem.   If we were doing a clean slate design, fixing the problem as you proposed would be a net win.   Given that there are substantial existing deployments, it doesn't look like a net win to me.

I think this is really a matter of judgment, not a matter of fact, so while I sympathize that it didn't come out your way, I don't agree with you that the wrong thing happened.