Re: [pkix] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15.txt> (X.509 Internet Public Key Infrastructure Online Certificate Status Protocol - OCSP) to Proposed Standard

On 4/12/13 1:31 AM, "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>What I would find helpful, and what I think some people really would
>like, is for OCSP to be able to provide white-list information in
>addition to the previous black-list information.  When I read through
>2560bis, I could not tell if there was an extension which would allow an
>RP to tell if "good" actually meant a cert was on the white list (and to
>know the responder has the white list), or merely not on the black list.
>(Yes, I'm repeating myself.  Am I making more sense, or just wasting
>everyone's time?)

What we have done is to roll out the red carpet and made it possible for
you to do that.

- The only thing you need to do now is to define a "white-list" extension.

To put it simply. Given how OCSP is designed, the only way to allow "good"
to represent a white-list, is if "revoked" can be returned for everything
else.
Everything else in this context means every other revoked or non-issued
certificate serial number under that CA.

With RFC 2560 that is not possible in a clean way.
With this new extension in RFC 2560bis, it is now possible.