Re: Sufficient email authentication requirements for IPv6

On Mar 30, 2013, at 10:43 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> It sometimes feels as if anti-spam efforts are trending in the
> direction of its being acceptable to accidentally discard a few
> dozen legitimate messages if doing so allows blocking a few
> thousand unsolicited/undesired ones.   I hope we never consider
> that a good tradeoff but, if we do, the decisions should at
> least be made openly and with some degree of community
> consensus.

The trend in the market (meaning "young people") is that it seems to be preferable to discard ALL email messages just to avoid getting a few SPAM.

That's a large part of why they use closed-group systems like Facebook and Twitter in preference to email.

Subsequent filtering/blocking and "automatic" mailing lists (like "the list of everybody who is interested in me and that I haven't explicitly blocked") and the other big part of the appeal of closed-group systems.

I've tried to imagine using Facebook-like system for IETF work, and it is strangely compelling ...

--
Dean