Re: Less Corporate Diversity

Melinda Shore wrote:
> Stephen Farrell wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, seems to me you're describing one leg of the elephant
> > each. From my experience I'd say you both actually have an
> > appreciation of the overall elephant but that's not coming
> > out in this kind of thread.

Since I personally participated only IETFs 33rd through 43rd plus 48th,
the picture of the elephant might be "somewhat outdated".
Back then, I had many fine lunches and dinners with WG chairs,
security AD and other folks from the security area.

> Well, maybe, but it seems to me that he's lost track of the
> discussion.  My argument is that the IESG has a gatekeeping
> function in taking on new work, that's based (aside from
> resourcing) on a set of values, their view of what's needed in
> the industry, etc.  With a uniform IESG membership you're not
> going to get a rather uniform view of the overall context
> for IETF work, you'll lose perspective, and consequently there's
> value to having members who aren't almost all from big
> manufacturers.

I'm not so sure I would still call it "gatekeeping" these days.
To me, it looks more like "trying to hold back the flood".

In 1995 there were fewer WGs, only 2 hours slots at Meetings, and
some WGs were regularly using two slots.  Today, some ADs might
want to start a new WG in their area only when they can make an
exiting WG in their area conclude.  So you might be running in a
competition to the WG that is currently being done, rather being
subject to only the IESGs free and unconstrained value judgement.

-Martin