Re: Less Corporate Diversity

On 03/20/2013 12:18 PM, Eric Burger wrote:
How much is the concentration of corporate participation in the IETF a result of market forces, like consolidation and bankruptcy, as opposed to nefarious forces, like a company hiring all of the I* leadership? We have mechanisms to deal with the latter, but there is not much we can do about the former.
Sure you can - you can put in place formal requirements for disclosure and actually make licenses which are recallable for frauds or other bad acts in the process.

The issue isnt whether the goal of the IETF is a laudable one or not - it clearly is, the issue is whether the IETF itself is responsible for actions which its infrastructure is used to control are allowed or not and what the issues for threshold of damages are.

Bluntly this IETF has no statistical idea on any of these things because it has intentionally put in place controls which are either too complex to implement or are glad-handed and ignored like the BCP78/79 rules which say "All parties speak regularly with their sponsors legal departments to keep them abreast on changes or things of interest in the standards process"... (yeah right...).

No really - its about time everything here got locked down so everything is open and a little-guy really can submit and promulgate a technology through standardization.

Todd