Re: Consensus on the responsibility for qualifications? (Was: Re: Nomcom is responsible for IESG qualifications)

On 3/16/2013 3:05 PM, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
My understanding, at least in the case of the TSV AD in this event, is that

Fred,

I think we've all done a pretty good job of separating discussion of the immediate crisis from discussing the broader question of Nomcom and job criteria. I don't remember whether I've posted about the former -- mostly I think we have no information about their internal process -- nor should we -- and therefore none of us can say much about it.

In any event, the thread with the above Subject line is about the latter topic, explicitly meant to apply to /later/ Nomcoms...

I think that makes the confirming body the one that, in the final analysis, sets the qualifications required.

As I explained in my response to Jim Galvin, I read RFC 3777 as establishing an implicit truth to your assessment, but I also think we need to keep it implicit.

The more serious issue, which is what surfaced /ex/plicitly is whether Nomcom has to take whatever they are given as job criteria -- developed by the body of which the job holder is a member -- or whether it is explicitly authorized to write and use its own criteria for the job.

Again, my reading of this thread looked like a pretty clear community preference for the latter.

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking