Re: Is there a Git repository of RFCs? Or of Internet-Drafts?

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[....]

>> What I mean is that if there is disk corruption on the server hosting
>> the drafts (which can happen post write), rsync will happily send the
>> checksum of the corrupted draft. Git's mechanism makes such a
>> probability infinitesimal.
>
> wait, so.. if the disk fails things go bad... I'm confused.

If the disk goes bad so as to provoke a misread of a sector, post
write, the file is effectively corrupted. If this happens with git,
the checksum calculated on write will fail to match, and the
corruption is detected.

Not only that, but:

* you may then recover the repository from another existing one;
* this mechanism detects corruption _even if you have a bare_ (since
what is checksummed is not the file in the working tree but its blob
representation in the object tree).

--
Francis Galiegue, fgaliegue@xxxxxxxxx
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com