Re: Martians

Le 2013-03-12 à 14:45, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hi
>
> At last night's plenary, I raised some related issues about the
> difficulties posed by the interactions between current systems
> for developing and editing documents working groups through the
> approval and publication processes and the growing number of
> people in the community who do sound technical work but who
> cannot express themselves easily and well in clear technical
> English.  In one of those comments, I suggested that the issues
> were likely to continue to get more important as the IETF
> diversified to including participants from areas we haven't seen
> before and mentioned likely increased numbers of participants
> from Mars.  My intent was to abstract the problem as much as
> possible to avoid even the appearance of singling out any one
> country or region as the source of the issue.  I don't believe
> that is the case and have observed (and did last night) that we
> have first-language speakers of English who write good and bad
> technical English as well as many first-language speakers of
> other languages who write better technical English than the
> native-speaker average.
>
> In any event, I've gotten some feedback that some people thought
> I was identifying them as Martians and were offended.

I was not offended, but I was in strong disagreement with your second comment that by having a co-editor assigned to help, it would make these "Martians" second-class citizens in the IETF. I completly disagree. Everybody needs help, for improving whatever: technical, writing, QA, etc... That does not make someone a second-class citizen.

Closing and moving forward.

Marc.