RE: Nomcom is responsible for IESG qualifications

At 03:05 PM 3/8/2013, Eric Gray wrote:
Actually, Joel is not to blame for my understanding.  Sorry to say, I did not read his report.

My understanding comes ? at least in part ? from the oxymoronic "oral Traditions" written in an
Appendix in RFC 3777.

I've included that section in its entirety below.  Where in that section does it say that the confirming body must confirm or reject a slate?

Or if you mean "balance" - where in that section does it say the IESG balance is even desirable?  (Yup - the below specifically says "IAB"  balance because the members of the IAB are at-large members rather than assigned a specific role link the IESG members).

Or was there another section of 3777 that you might have gotten your impression from?

Mike

Appendix A.  Oral Tradition

   Over the years various nominating committees have learned
through
   oral tradition passed on by liaisons that there are certain
   consistencies in the process and information considered
during
   deliberations.  Some items from that oral tradition are
collected
   here to facilitate its consideration by future nominating
committees.

   1.  It has been found that experience as an IETF
Working Group Chair
       or an IRTF Research Group Chair is
helpful in giving a nominee
       experience of what the job of an
Area Director involves.  It also
       helps a nominating committee judge
the technical, people, and
       process management skills of the
nominee.

   2.  No person should serve both on the IAB and as an
Area Director,
       except the IETF Chair whose roles as
an IAB member and Area
       Director of the General Area are set
out elsewhere.

   3.  The strength of the IAB is found in part in the
balance of the
       demographics of its members (e.g.,
national distribution, years
       of experience, gender, etc.), the
combined skill set of its
       members, and the combined sectors
(e.g., industry, academia,
       etc.) represented by its members.

   4.  There are no term limits explicitly because the
issue of
       continuity versus turnover should be
evaluated each year
       according to the expectations of the
IETF community, as it is
       understood by each nominating
committee.

   5.  The number of nominating committee members with the
same primary
       affiliation is limited in order to
avoid the appearance of
       improper bias in choosing the