Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

At 08:50 AM 3/6/2013, Jari Arkko wrote:

>I didn't want to imply that we necessarily couple the actions we take.
>
>I agree of course that right now we have an issue to solve. I agree that we should do whatever to complete the current process, and that waiting for a reorganisation would be a bad idea.
>
>However, given that I feel that I've been through varying levels of similar issues for last couple of years, I would also like to ensure that we do something more permanent.

Once upon a time we contemplated allowing the Nomcom - in rare circumstances - to nominate someone for a short term of 1 year (e.g. probation).  This was part of the discussion some 13-16 years ago when we were expanding the IESG and dealing with some term imbalances and trying to figure out whether giving someone a 3 year term to even out the number of nominees per year was what we should be doing.

Unfortunately, while the 3 year term stuff made it into 3777, the 1 year term stuff didn't.  It's too bad as it may have been a useful option here (or not - I haven't reviewed the list of transport AD candidates).

I would suggest that it's probably time to re-convene the "how do we select people" working group.  Given the number of issues - recall, IAOC, this, ineligible others  - we've encountered lately, I don't think just cutting and pasting a new RFC over 3777 to patch holes makes sense.

Mike