Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

Sam:

>> So in conclusion, I strongly value technical contribution and
>> demonstrated ability to pick up new knowledge in an AD. I do not highly
>> value knowing all the things going on in a specific area at the time the
>> AD joins the IESG.

We mostly agree.  We both agree that strong technical contribution is an important aspect of the qualification.  However, I believe that some basic clue in the Area is needed.

Could you image serving with a Security Co-AD that could not explain how cryptography could be used for authentication?

Without some fundamental understanding, I do not see how the AD would know when to seek additional expert review.

Russ