Re: Call for Comment: "RFC Format Requirements and Future Development"

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 7:44 PM

> >There should be an immutable requirement that any alternative format
> >MUST NOT increase the size by more than a factor of two compared to
> >ASCII text.
>
> So you're saying you're unalterably opposed to the RFC editor
providing
> PDF, HTML, epub, mobipocket, and every other format that people
actually
> use on modern computers, as well as anything that includes reasonably
> legible images?

I am opposed to the careless, thoughtless use of these formats which
causes a massive increase in the resources needed to do anything with
them; I quoted a 16-fold increase in one that came from another SDO but
I have seen 50-fold increases in ones from individuals.

Look under the covers and the markup being used in a way that seems
designed to maximise resource usage.  With *ML, there may be tens of
kilobytes of css which seems to a logical 'or' of anything used anytime
in an organisation; or code translation tables that make UCS seem small;
or applying markup that is no different to the default to each and every
paragraph such as

BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; VERTICAL-ALIGN:
middle; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; CURSOR: pointer; COLOR: #FFFFFF;
BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none;
FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial Unicode MS, san-serif

(The worst offenders seem to documents that have been converted from
MS-Word into something else).

Look at RFC and the XML that goes into it, and a ratio of two to one,
input to output text, is generous on any document of reasonable size.

It is harder to look inside a pdf and see why the same document can be
20kbyte or 100kbyte but I would appeark that a similar consideration
applies.

Impose no limit and you could get a 16-fold increase in the resources
needed.  Great for mobile phone operators and hardware manufacturers,
bad news for those who want to progress the work of the IETF.

Tom Petch