Re: Internet Draft Final Submission Cut-Off Today

Ned,

On 27/02/2013 19:21, ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> > It turns out for most people the easiest route around is submitting
>> in time.
>> >
>> > That is actually what counts here: how does the rule influence the
>> behavior of people.
>> >
>> > Chair hat: WORKSFORME.  (And, if I could decide it, WONTFIX.)
>> +1.
>
>> As far as I can tell, the deadline actually serves the purpose of
>> getting people to focus on IETF and update their documents sufficiently
>> prior to the meeting, that it's reasonable to expect meeting
>> participants to read the drafts that they intend to discuss.   And I say
>> this as someone who, as an author, has often found the deadline to be
>> very inconvenient.
>
> And your evidence for this is .. what exactly? Yes, the deadline makes the
> drafts show up a bit sooner, but I rather suspect that the overwhelming
> majority of people don't bother to do much reading in the inverval. I
> certainly
> don't.

Just to present another view, I certainly do.

I agree that this is more important for -00 drafts, and that looking at
the diffs *may* be sufficient for updated drafts. However, with hundreds
of documents coming down the pipe shortly before the meeting, I firmly
believe that the two deadlines are essential in order to achieve any
kind of systematic triage and decide what needs careful reading.

I think many of us have a wide range of interests that make this
triage important.

  Brian