Re: [IETF] Internet Draft Final Submission Cut-Off Today

On 27/02/2013, at 9:59 AM, Warren Kumari <warren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:54 PM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that the deadline serves any positive purpose so long as we keep all of the versions anyway.
>> It certainly is annoying the way it is now and is disruptive to the development process rather than helpful for it.
>
> Um, maybe.
>
> Another way to look at it is that a deadline, any deadline, helps stop folk procrastinating and actually *submit*.
>
> Have a look at the number of submissions just before the cutoffs…

I think that's a poor trade-off. As discussed before, the publishing embargo disrupts work that isn't in sync with meetings. This is a tangible and somewhat high price to pay just to serve as a procrastination-buster for those that need it.

I'd be willing to deal with an embargo for draft-ietf-*, but don't see at all why it extends to other drafts.

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/