Re: Showing support during IETF LC...

On 2/25/13 4:27 PM, Edward Lewis wrote:
I have this scenario in mind:

A -12 comes out and I read it thoroughly and have about 10 points that need to be addressed.

So I respond to the document (not in last call) and all of the points are adequately (in my opinion) addressed.

A -13 is issued and sent to last call.

So - I shouldn't voice support? Do I go down in the record as someone that had voiced concerns? Or do I go down in the record as someone who supports the document?

When -13 comes out, a message saying "-13 addresses all of my issues" is good data. If you already sent such a message to the WG when -13 came out, then you're already "down in the record" and I'd expect the chair to mention in the writeup to the IESG, "A bunch of comments were received during WG last call and addressed to the commenters' satisfaction, so I think this document has gotten good positive support in its current form", and that's also perfectly good data.

(Similarly, saying during Last Call, "I intend to implement this thing; it looks really useful for my purposes" is good data, and if you've said it to the WG already, I expect -- in summary -- to hear about it in the writeup, and that's good data. And saying during Last Call, "I've never seen this document before in my life, but I've given it a review 'cause I'm a nice guy and it looks pretty good to me" is also pretty reasonable data.)

But saying "+1" or "I support this document" during Last Call *with no context* isn't all that useful from the point of view of someone calling consensus. The problem is there's no way to tell what precisely that means. It could mean, "I've been reviewing this and all of my previous concerns were answered", it could mean, "I'm planning on implementing", it could mean, "I did a random review and it looks good", or it could mean, "Someone told me I should say 'I support this document'." And that means you can only tell what it means by reputation of the speaker, which isn't a great metric for these sorts of things.

So yes, voice support, but do it in context. And if you've already voiced support (like to the WG), expect that it's been noticed and you don't need to voice it again.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478