Re: A modest proposal

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, Melinda Shore wrote:

> > And too bad we can't have the IESG implement it while
> > reviewing it.
>
> There we go.  That would cut down on the "I'll support your
> awful idea if you support my awful idea" horse trading.

No, it just means that I have to implement my awful idea and
you have to implement yours and then we agree to cross license
the source.

The thing that is easy to forget when viewing a specification
outside of the context of when it was written is that many/most
IETF specs are written to imporve the interoperability of
existing implementations. Part of improving the interoperability
is to incorporate features and/or extensibility to avoid
future hacking. AND we tend to need to grandfather existing
features which we then have to work-around for ever.

And our most popular specifications are the hardest to improve
because of the weight of existing usage.