Re: A modest proposal

On Jan 22, 2013, at 08:05, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> why you're specifically requesting implementations in C

I think his argument is that the spec author should be punished for each piece of fluff in the spec.
A sentiment that I can relate to.

Having to write C code probably does qualify as the appropriate punishment :-)

Grüße, Carsten

PS.: The underlying hypothesis that the authors of RFC 3261 don't code can be easily refuted.
But a spec writer who has to code things at the specific instant a new feature is being put into the spec will be in a different, more desirable mindset than someone who can just drop the English and leave implementation as an exercise to the reader.
And too bad we can't have the IESG implement it while reviewing it.
Both would be really useful to curb the "political" fluff that tends to accumulate in our specs.