Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

John Leslie wrote:

> > But more to the point, I think that in a lot of cases where
> > the IETF has done a good job, there has been running code
> > before the WG even started...
>
>    This perhaps explains where Stephen is coming from. Such
> cases do exist; and it is arguable that the process Stephen has
> describe in this draft are well-suited to such cases (though I
> would still have to quibble about some details).
>
>    I remain unconvinced, however, that fast-tracking the cases
> that start from running code is a good use of WG efforts. Such
> cases seem better suited to Independent Submissions from a
> design team (which would _greatly_ speed the process). When
> a WG is formed, IMHO, they should be encouraged to look at the
> problem from some quite different angles, in search of a way
> to "Simplify!".

I also believe that being more honest about something that is
more a design team effort than the result of more traditional
WG work should probably carry through that notion of an
Independent Submission, and, when being fast-tracked, that it
is essentially a request for rubber-stamping.

-Martin