Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

Hiya,

On 01/14/2013 07:50 AM, Stephan Wenger wrote:
>> <rant>
> I understand that this is a rant.  And, I'm not ranting back, even if
> tempted.

Yes, its tempting, but I'm going to resist since its irrelevant IMO.

>> </rant>

>> I'm not at all sure what concrete suggestion you're making, other
>> than disparaging GPL. If your suggestion is s/GPLv3/BSD license/
>> then that could be done but would make no difference at all to
>> this draft, so I plan to leave this as-is.
>
> Yes, I'm arguing in favor of replacing "GPL" with "BSD", or, even better,
> with "public domain".  To rephrase the reason for it: ideally, in order to
> verify "matching" between software and specification, the software would
> need to be accessible to as many people (in practice: IETF participants)
> as possible.  One extreme is correctly identified: closed source code is,
> in almost all cases, accessible only to a very small group of people.  The
> other extreme is "public domain" source code, where no reasonable lawyer
> or business guy has a reason to tell their developers to not touch it.
> BSD licensed code comes close, and is more common.
>
> The GPLed code is not at one of the extremes, but middle ground.  I would
> wager a guess that perhaps less than half of the IETF participants are
> allowed to check GPLed code for something as business-uncritical as
> fast-tracking a draft.  Therefore, GPLed code should not be an example for
> universally accessible and verifiable code.
>
> Clearer?  Please reconsider your position.

Yes, that's clearer. We're talking about two different continuums
(or continua:-), so either would work, and neither is important to
this draft. I'll make the change if there's enough support for it,
but as I guess you can see, this is an area where we won't get folks
to entirely agree. In this case, we don't need to, since the text
in question is just explanatory and has no significant impact on
the experiment at all.

(BTW, I'll just note in passing that this kind of contentious
irrelevancy is exactly the kind of thing that an author/editor
running the experiment could freely ignore as not meeting the
discuss criteria. That'd be nice, but doesn't apply this time
unfortunately;-)

>>> Second, the draft suggest that the existence of an implementation of the
>>> specification should serve as a shortcut towards RFC, presumably because
>>> such an implementation speak favorably to the implementability of the
>>> specification.  That, however, is not universally true.
>>
>> Very few things in the IETF are universally true;-)
>>
>>> Specifically, if
>>> implementer and spec writer are the same person (or part of the same
>>> team), it is quite likely that the spec takes certain assumptions made
>>> by
>>> the implementers for granted, and does not document it.  That would be a
>>> bad spec, accessible implementation or not.  The solution to this issue
>>> is
>>> IMO not, as the draft appears to be to suggest, to put burden on WG
>>> chairs
>>> and ADs to ensure that the spec and the implementation match.  Both WG
>>> chairs and ADs have enough to do, and the incentive for rubber-stamping
>>> is
>>> quite high.  A more sensible solution may be to require that the
>>> implementer is unaffiliated with the spec author; in other words, the
>>> implementation is derived from the spec + IETF discussion context.
>>
>> That's a fair point but, a) we don't consider affiliations like that
>> in the IETF, at least not in a written-rules kind of way,
>
> "Affiliation" was not meant as "same employer". Clearly, same team in the
> same company is a problem.  Co-developer in the same (small) open source
> project is a problem.  US-based Office of CTO full-time standardizer (of
> which the IETF has a fair share, we may like it or not) and code-grunts in
> China are IMO not a problem, even if they work for the same mega-company.
> There may be a better word than "affiliated" to describe this
> relationship.  That word escapes me, though.  (Standard excuse: not an
> English native speaker.)
>

>> and b) there's
>> nothing in principle wrong with the editor writing code.
>
> For the purpose of short-cutting an approval mechanism (and only in this

s/short-cutting/speeding up/

> context), I disagree, for the reasons already mentioned.  Outside of that
> context, I'm fully with you, and I wish there would be more of those
> multi-purpose types.
>
>> While it
>> is better if the code is written independent of the editor and even
>> better if someone who hasn't been involved in the WG has done the
>> coding, that'd be too high a burden to require IMO, especially given
>> that this is an experiment.
>
> Ack.
>

>> I'd have no problem adding text that encouraged some form of
>> independence though, if you'd like to provide some.
>
> How about:
>
> "If the source code has been developed independently of the authoring of
> the draft (and ideally by non WG participants), it is likely that the
> implementation and the draft match, and that pitfalls unaware developers
> may find have been found and dealt with.  If, on the other hand, draft
> author(s) and implementation developer(s) overlap, then it is sensible to
> scrutinize the draft more closely, both with respect to its match with the
> implementation and for assumptions that author/developer may have taken
> for granted which warrant documentation in the draft."

That'd be no harm to add. I don't know that it improves the document
enough to bother though. I'll think about it, but let's see if anyone
else cares.

>>> A third comment would be that, if you interpret the draft strictly, it
>>> is
>>> highly unlikely that the experiment would ever be exercised, as the
>>> implementation needs to "match" the draft to be advanced, and that would
>>> mean that the implementation has to follow in lockstep with the draft
>>> development up until the final version.  With respect to the core
>>> subject
>>> matter of a draft, that may be fine.  However, many of the final edits
>>> in
>>> a draft come as input from IETF wide community review; things like
>>> security, congestion control, and the like.  Those are often trivial to
>>> write down, but can have a major implementation impact.  To cure this,
>>> it
>>> would IMO be acceptable if the implementation would be required to match
>>> the latest or a reasonably young, i.e. a few months old version of the
>>> draft.
>>
>> Another fair point but again one where its not really possible to
>> describe a rule that'd be better and more precise than "match."
>> I don't think a rule mentioning earlier or older drafts would be
>> useful for this.
>>
>> I'll see if I can come up with something better than "match" but
>> if you have text to suggest, that might help.
>
> Trying:
>
> "Match means that all, or substantially all, protocol mechanisms of the
> draft are implemented, that no other code points are implemented that
> would reasonably fall into the scope of the draft in question, that all
> documented state machines are implemented and no other state machines, and
> so forth.  The over-the-wire behavior of the implementation and of the
> draft should substantially match, including more subtle points such as
> timing relationship of messages, .  Minor divergences in details stemming
> from unaligned development cycles of draft and implementation are
> acceptable."

I like most of that, thanks. For now, I've added this to 2.1, let me
know if it works:

   We do not give a precise definition for "match" here but the intent
   is that all, or substantially all, protocol mechanisms of the draft
   are implemented, that the over-the-wire behavior of the
   implementation and of the draft should substantially match, including
   more subtle points such as timing relationship of messages, etc.
   Minor divergences in details stemming from unaligned development
   cycles of draft and implementation are acceptable.

Cheers,
S.

PS: There's a working draft at [1] in case that helps.

[1] http://down.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/misc/draft-farrell-ft-04.txt