Re: draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-07 - array index for end ofarray

Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Suggestion: allow negative numbers to indicate a position counted from the end of the array instead "array/-".
>> [some measure of complexity omitted here...]

> David,
>
> This was discussed in the Working Group, but it wasn't felt that the added complexity was worth it; there's a strong feeling that this spec should be as simple as possible.
>
> Cheers,

> --
> Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

Understood - simplicity is a great Guiding Principle.

Might I suggest, however, using -1 instead of "-" to refer to the last item in an array, as this provides two benefits:

1) Allows for adding the complexity down the road in a compatible way, should there be need
2) Uniformity; i.e. always using integer values for referring to array elements.

Thanks for the consideration,
djb