Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> (LISP EID Block) to Informational RFC

Hi Roger,

On 14 Nov. 2012, at 10:42 , Roger Jørgensen <rogerj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM, The IESG <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The IESG has received a request from the Locator/ID Separation Protocol
>> WG (lisp) to consider the following document:
>> - 'LISP EID Block'
>>  <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> as Informational RFC
>>
>> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
>> ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2012-11-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
>> sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the
>> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>>
>> Abstract
>>

>>   This is a direction to IANA to allocate a /16 IPv6 prefix for use
>>   with the Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP).  The prefix will be
>>   used for local intra-domain routing and global endpoint
>>   identification, by sites deploying LISP as EID (Endpoint IDentifier)
>>   addressing space.
>
> I have to ask, who can request an netblock from this address space and
> from where?

Who: whoever is willing to deploy LISP.

Where: your RIR?

> I might be blind but I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

The purpose of the document is not to create a new way to distribute prefixes with its own policies, rather to use the existing "process" but just creating a code point specific for LISP.

Luigi