Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Adding US and Canada attendees (I counted last week, might have changed slightly) you get to about 51% of the attendees.
> When meetings are held in other parts of the world (like Taipei, Paris or Prague) Americans still make up over 40% of the attendees.
> Much as I prefer 4-hour flights to 12-hour flights, it minimizes the general pain to hold meetings in America.
> There's also the issue that finding good venues is considerably easier in America than in either Europe or Asia

I find this logic circular. There is more participation from Americans
(people from US) so more meetings are held there and so more people
from US attend. So it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle. The IAOC /
IETF has notably tried to break free of this pattern by having
meetings in Asia (Taipei/Hiroshima/Beijing). But in that aspect 2012 -
2013 -2014 are disappointing years as meetings are being held only in
North America/Europe. Granted the problem of finding good venues is an
issue in some place but holding a meeting a year outside of NA/Europe
would be nice. Maybe try to hold interim meetings in these places (but
cost could be prohibitive for some of the participants - No easy
answers I guess).

-- Vinayak