Re: Format=flowed quoting (was "Re: IETF...the unconference of SDOs")

On 25 Oct 2012, at 01:25, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listsebby@xxxxxx> wrote:
>    SG> * text/paragraphs (or whatever), a completely different identity that violates the length limits
>
>    SG> Apple Mail and Microsoft use this text/paragraphs.
>
> Do you think it would be worth writing a specification for text/paragraphs?

Only if we can get a whole bunch of defective code reading and writing it.  There might be a case for that, given the laziness they've demonstrated in simply abusing text/plain, but it's also just possible that they might, just might implement format=flowed instead.  But it's unlikely. :-(

> Heuristically, it's not that hard to identify, and a small patch for
> mailman would at least mark email as being in that format, so that at
> least, IETF lists could have email that complies to some standard.

It would be easier and simpler and probably more participant-friendly (though not, see below, quite as good for changing the running code :-) ) to perform imperfect conversions from text/paragraphs to text/plain; format=flowed.  All we've got to do is identify any line longer than 80 characters and, assuming that it runs to the end of a paragraph at all times, add a forced soft line break encoded using F=F's stuffing rules.  Any line terminated before it's too long is assumed to be a manually inserted hard line break.

Now that I come to think of it, now is the time to see if the Tcl MIME parser will help me out writing a quick and dirty proxy server for my own machine …

> (Whether or not we then drop email that doesn't have a text/plain part
> is a second conversation)

You want to punish Apple and/or Microsoft?  That's how to do it. :-)

Cheers,
Sabahattin