Re: IAOC Request for community feedback

On 23/10/2012 21:07, David Kessens wrote:
> Doug,
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26:58PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> You're not proposing a change in procedure. You're proposing to ignore
>> one.
>
> No procedure is ignored.
>
> BCP 101 does not define the rules for declaring a position vacant. In
> absense of such rules, the IAOC decided to consult with the community
> whether the community agrees that the position is now vacant.

Exactly. To my mind, a member who ceases to participate, and fails to
reply to messages indicating that the seat is about to be declared
vacant, has created a vacancy. I think the IAOC is behaving appropriately.

> Another avenue, which is also mentioned in the BCP, that could have been
> followed is the recall procedure. However, the IAOC felt that it was not
> really intended for a situation where somebody apparently has vacated their
> position.

Agreed. It could be used for that, but I don't see it as required.
We aren't dealing with alleged misbehaviour.

    Brian Carpenter