Re: Obsoletes/Updates in the abstract (Was: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-eai-rfc5721bis-07)

On 09/22/2012 03:25 AM, Ben Campbell wrote:

-- The abstract  should mention that this obsoletes 5721

>>> Why? There is a statement in the header, 10 lines above the
>>> abstract, that says "Obsoletes: 5721 (if approved)".
>>
>> The IESG put this into the nits check before my time. The Last Call
>> and publication announcements normally contain only the abstract,
>> not the metadata above, and I believe the thinking was that if you
>> are a person who scans through those announcements, you probably
>> would (and would want to) take notice of documents that purport to
>> obsolete or update document that you recognize. We could probably
>> change the tool to add the metadata to the announcements, but
>> apparently quite a few people read "abstracting" services that grab
>> the abstracts of newly published documents. Not much we can do for
>> them.
>>
>> It's certainly useful to some folks. Necessary? (*Shrug*) Not
>> enough wasted bits for me to care one way or the other.
>>

> As a Gen-ART reviewer, I called it out for exactly the reasons Pete
> mentions, and care about the same amount :-) But putting it there
> seems to hurt nothing, and maybe help just a little bit in some
> cases.

Hanging fuzzy dice from a car mirror doesn't hurt anything and might attract people who otherwise would pay no attention to the vehicle, but that doesn't mean that there should be a law requiring everyone to display said dice.