Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

Hi Scott, folks,
 with due deference to Joe Touch & Bill Manning, whenever I have created/requested publication of an I-D, it never occurred to me that I was actually withdrawing the rights I had signed up to after six months (i.e., insisting on removal). That seems a novel reading of the boilerplate/2026.

There were times people have had to refresh a draft before it disappeared (with precious few changes), just to keep them published.
That always struck me as bonkers, and am roundly happy that/if expired drafts don't evaporate with the season.
I can't be alone in this -- these docs may not be current, but having a trail of drafts NOT take up gigabytes on [some] people's hard drives is good.

As for Scott's comments/efforts to have an expired-draft directory -- amen to that, for both reasons.
(I hadn't realised that Steve had just about done this; good chap, who's sorely missed).

It is VERY useful to be able to search through drafts to see how we got here, AND to see things that were explored and abandoned.
It's also useful to be able to check when things were published relative to applications; having that information potentially go away was/is a nuisance.

IMHO:
If authors insist, OK -- the expired draft is toast (although it being replaced by a published note that it has been deleted would be good).
Otherwise, why would/should the IESG decide to remove a document?

... which is a long way of saying: +1

all the best,
  Lawrence