Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:26:29AM -0700, ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > No, the response is that we refer you to our policy.  As an open
> > organization we do not remove information once posted, except under
> > extraordinary circumstances.
>
> Exactly. This sort of thing is wh a policy is needed

I attempted to hint at it already in this thread, but frankly, this
sort of thing is why a policy _is not_ needed.  The IESG has that
discretion already, and I would prefer to trust their judgement than
to write a policy governing all future action, thereby running the
risk that we'll have overlooked something and having a resulting
problem with policies down the road.

I do not understand this nearly constitutional obsession with writing
down policies for everything we do and don't do.  It turns us into a
bureaucratic process slaves for no benefit I can see.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx