Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

> On 9/9/12 8:43 PM, John Levine wrote:
> > Let's say I write to the IESG and say this:
> >
> >   Due to a late night editing error, draft-foo-bar-42 which I
> >   submitted yesterday contains several paragraphs of company
> >   confidential information which you can easily see are irrelevant to
> >   the draft.  My boss wants it taken down pronto, even though he
> >   realizes that third parties may have made copies of it in the
> >   meantime.  I will probably lose my job if it stays up for more than a
> >   few days.  Thanks for your consideration.
> >
> > Is this the response?
> >
> >   You didn't make any legal threats, and now that we know the
> >   situation, we wouldn't believe any legal threats you might make in the
> >   future, so you better check out those burger flipping opportunities.

> No, the response is that we refer you to our policy.  As an open
> organization we do not remove information once posted, except under
> extraordinary circumstances.

Exactly. This sort of thing is wh a policy is needed, although I note in
passing that the folks at this hypothetical might want to read up on the
Streisand Effect.

> > What was wrong with the original version which gave the IESG the
> > latitude to remove an I-D if they feel, for whatever reason, that it
> > would be a good idea to do so?

> What original?  The draft policy states:

> > An I-D will only be removed from the public I-D archive in compliance
> > with a duly authorized court order.

> > If the IESG were so screwed up that
> > they started deleting I-Ds for bad reasons, no amount of process
> > verbiage would help.

> Certainly, but let's not start from the wrong place to begin with.
> Let's also set expectations that the IESG may be used to clean up after
> other peoples' messes.  They have enough to do.

That is if anything an understatement.

> And again, this is best developed with counsel.

A very emphatic +1 to this.

				Ned