Re: [EAI] Last Call: <draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade-07.txt> (Post-delivery Message Downgrading for Internationalized Email Messages) to Proposed Standard

--On Sunday, September 09, 2012 11:52 -0400 Barry Leiba
<barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I think 5322upd-from-group needs to apply to both
>> backward-pointing address types to be effective for what
>> popimap-downgrade needs.
>
> I will make the change.  I'll also remind the EAI group that
> there have been a couple of objections to the
> 5322upd-from-group spec, which I have to address.  I might do
> that by scoping it down a bit with some "SHOULD NOT use" sort
> of language to address those concerns.  Have to review them
> and see.

My suggestion is to say something like the following:

	A great deal of Internet email procedures and software
	assume that the addresses in "From:" and "Sender:"
	fields can be replied to and are suitable for use in
	mail organizing and filtering.  The use of groups
	instead of mailboxes may disrupt those uses.
	Consequently, with this specification legitimizes the
	use of group syntax, that syntax should be used in those
	fields only under special circumstances and with
	caution.  In particular, users and MUAs should generally
	not permit the use of group syntax in those fields in
	outgoing messages since the syntax will usually provide
	even less information than a null address ("<>") which
	is already prohibited by RFC 5321.

That could be either in Security Considerations or a separate
section.  You could even do something radical and incorporate it
as a section called "Applicability" and use the words "LIMITED
USE" (and, since no one seems to remember, a citation of RFC
2026 Section 3.3).   You can probably figure out how to use
fewer words, but something like that would address the comments
I've seen so far and, IMO, generally strengthen the spec.

best,
   john