Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 03:35:24PM -0500, Pete Resnick wrote:

> I must say, I find this a very strange thing to say. The original
> statement was "we will not remove anything from the archive unless
> ordered to by duly authorized court".
[…]
> questions. I'm not sure I like the idea of making my job harder, but

It seems to me you all made your jobs harder when you put up the
statement for contemplation.  Maybe I missed it in the many messages,
but I don't understant what problem the statement is trying to solve
(especially given that the goal was really just to restrict action to
exactly what you'd have to do not to go to jail)?  To me, the proposal
seems like an administrative rule without a great deal of benefit, but
with plenty of future opportunity for exception handling (and the
associated rats and holes).

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx