RE: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brian E Carpenter
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 12:04 PM
To: SM
Cc: IETF
Subject: Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

On 05/09/2012 15:51, SM wrote:

> Yes.  There has been a request to remove an I-D.

That's an interesting but not very informative statement.

In the only case I am personally aware of, in 2006/7, there was a dispute (outside the IETF), with lawyer's letters flying around. Eventually, in a decision supported by the IETF Counsel, not only was an I-D version taken down, but an *earlier* version was put back with an artificially extended expiry date. No court order was involved, and the eventual outcome was a private agreement between the parties (outside the IETF).

I think the IESG needs to keep the flexibility to do that, although in all normal circumstances the answer should be "we don't do that."

    Brian