Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt> (Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field) to Proposed Standard

I will include a response to the rest of this in my summary of the last
call concerns. Regarding your last point:

On 6/18/2012 5:39 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> PS
>
> While your draft is rather harmful than useless, I'm fine
> if the following point of the draft:
>
>     >>  Originating sources MAY set the IPv4 ID field of atomic
>     datagrams to any value.
>
> is changed to:
>
>     >>  Originating sources MUST set the IPv4 ID field of atomic
>     datagrams to values as unique as possible.
>
> which is what the current BSD implementations do.

There are implementations that set DF=1 and ID=0 (cellphones).

BSD does not make IDs as unique as possible; it selects them according
to a pseudorandom algorithm that does not take into account the
datagram's source IP, destination IP, or protocol. I.e., BSD code
repeats the IDs more frequently than necessary when a host concurrently
sources datagrams with different (srcIP, dstIP, proto) tuples.

So it would already be in violation of your proposed wording, as would
most ID generation mechanisms.

Joe