Re: Last Call: RFC 2818 (HTTP Over TLS) to Proposed Standard

Adding to what SM already wrote (and yes, I've reread the whole document):

On 1 Jun 2012, at 21:23, SM <sm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 09:42 01-06-2012, IESG Secretary wrote:
>> The IESG has received a request from the TLS Working Group to reclassify RFC 2818 (HTTP Over TLS) to Proposed Standard.

> Could the IESG please use ietf@xxxxxxxx instead of obfuscating the email address?  Some of us are lazy especially on Fridays.
>
> Erratum #1077 has been classified as "Held for Document Update".  Will there ever be a document update?  Implementing this specification requires HTTP/1.1 and TLS 1.0.  I suggest updating the reference to RFC 4346 at least and waiting for the updated HTTP specifications.

Yes, it would be worth doing that if the document is reopened.

> St. Andre and Mr. Hodges authored a Proposed Standard called "Representation and Verification of Domain-Based Application Service Identity within Internet Public Key Infrastructure Using X.509 (PKIX) Certificates in the Context of Transport Layer Security (TLS)".  Quoting from Section 1.4:
>
>  "the procedures described here can be referenced by future
>   specifications, including updates to specifications for
>   existing application protocols if the relevant technology
>   communities agree to do so."
>
> May I suggest taking the above into consideration and at least put some minimal effort into a 2818bis?

Not surprisingly I agree with you.

Also note that HTTPBis WG has folded the updated definition of https:// URI schemes (Section 2.4 of RFC 2818) into one of its documents. I think it would be good to make it clear to readers which document defines the URI scheme.

As far as reopening the document is concerned: I slightly prefer to do rfc2818bis although I understand that doing a -bis always takes longer than originally anticipated.