Re: IANA [Re: Last Call: <draft-hoffman-tao4677bis-15.txt> (The Tao of IETF: A Novice's Guide to the Internet Engineering Task Force) to Informational RFC]

On May 31, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
>>> The IAB decides who acts as the IETF's IANA. RFC 2860 again.
>> http://ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order
> You're correct that NTIA wants to pay someone to do the "protocol parameter" job.

Err, "pay" isn't the right word here: it's a zero dollar contract (although this doesn't preclude the contract assignee from charging to recover costs (as long as NTIA agrees)).

> The IAB can decide to not use that office.

Yep. Of course, what happens after that is left to the reader as an exercise.  Fortunately, I believe (hope?) everybody wants the same thing wrt administrative oversight of "the IANA" so that exercise won't need to be handed in to the teacher.

Regards,
-drc