Re: RFC 2119 terms, ALL CAPS vs lower case

On 2012-05-16 22:29, Dave Cridland wrote:
On Wed May 16 21:10:02 2012, Randy Bush wrote:
> Authors must be fastidious about this.

s/this/documents/

RFC 2119 §6 says:

Imperatives of the type defined in this memo must be used with care
and sparingly. In particular, they MUST only be used where it is
actually required for interoperation or to limit behavior which has
potential for causing harm (e.g., limiting retransmisssions). For
example, they must not be used to try to impose a particular method
on implementors where the method is not required for
interoperability.

I note two things:

1) RFC 2119 also uses lower-case "must" and "may" throughout.

2) RFC 2119 also clearly states that using the terms too much will harm
interoperability.

The second is the one I feel we have violated much more, and caused much
more damage, than any possible problem with the first.

+100