RE: [MBONED] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mboned-64-multicast-address-format-01.txt> (IPv4-Embedded IPv6 Multicast Address Format) to Proposed Standard

Dear SM,

Thank you for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

Med: Ok. Done in my local copy. Thanks.

>In Section 3:
>
>   "To meet the requirements listed in Appendix A.2"
>
>Wouldn't it be better to reference RFC 4291?

Med: Do you mean, cite RFC4291 in addition to the ref to Appendix A.2?

>   "This field must follow the recommendations specified in [RFC3306]
>    if unicast-based prefix is used or the recommendations specified
>    in [RFC3956] if embedded-RP is used."
>
>Shouldn't that be a MUST?

Med: Done.

>In Section 4:
>
>   "Flags must be set to 0011."
>
>Is that a requirement?

Med: Yes, because as listed in Appendix A.2, we wanted to have an a prefix in the ff3x::/32 range.

>   "The embedded IPv4 address SHOULD be in the 232/8 range [RFC4607].
>    232.0.0.1-232.0.0.255 range is being reserved to IANA."
>
>Why is this a SHOULD?

Med: We first considered a "MUST" but we relaxed that required to "SHOULD" for any future use case which may need to map IPv4 ASM to IPv6 SSM. Does this makes sense to you?

 What does being reserved to IANA mean?

Med: It should be "for IANA allocation" instead of "to IANA". Better?

>Although the proposal appears simple, I would suggest further review
>as it updates RFC 4291.

Med: Reviews are more than welcome. FWIW, a call for review has been issued in 6man and 6vops for 2 weeks:
* http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg15488.html
* http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg12174.html