Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

John C Klensin wrote:

> Martin Rex <mrex@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Identifying contributors or participants and publishing persons
> > photos or portaits are two very distinct things, and the former
> > does not require the latter at all.
>
> In principle, I could keep the pictures to myself and put a list
> of names of volunteers in the minutes.  Now suppose Joe Bloggs
> is listed but announces on the mailing list after not doing
> anything that he really didn't volunteer.  I've now got a choice
> among accepting his assertion that he didn't volunteer, letting
> him retroactively un-volunteer, or publishing the picture to
> prove my case (and you claim the latter is illegal).  For a
> number of reasons, generating peer pressure among them, I prefer
> to just publish the picture.

I had assumed there is a difference between "volunteering in an IETF WG"
to do some work and "volunteering in Uncle Sam's recruiting buero".
When did this change?

I would also assume that "volunteering" should be scoped to what the
volunteer personally commits by explicit vocal or written communication,
rather than a "show of hand" volunteering to an unspecified amount
of work on the mind of a WG chair.  And any such personal commitment
may be vitally dependent on several constraints that are not explicitly
communicated along with it, and those may change.

I really do not see any need for a "photo proof" in that area, and much less
of a _publication_ of a photo.  Does this mean that IETF participants,
who do not attend IETF meetings in person, can no longer volunteer to
contribute to the IETF?

-Martin