Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

Steven Bellovin wrote:

> David Meyer wrote:
>
> I do not agree.  I remember discussing the concept with folks, a couple
> of years before that; we agreed that NATs would be very challenging
> because of the need for protocol-dependent packet inspection and
> modification.  Add to that an underestimate of how long it would take
> before v6 was adopted, and a gross underestimate of how large the
> Internet would be -- remember, IPng happened before the Web explosion --
> and it was very easy to ignore the possibility of NAT, let alone the
> renumbering and (questionable) firewall benefits of it.  In retrospect,
> sure, but in 1993-1994?  It was not at all obvious.

While the features and aspects varied, the underlying concept was
pretty real in 1993.

I remember that in 1992/1993 I used a software called "term"
on my Linux box to forward multiple multiplexed TCP connections
through a regular modem dial-up.  Since it sliced the data down
into very tiny chunks, supported priorities and lacked the
entire IP overhead, it was significantly better than SLIP/PPP
and you could still use telnet with an acceptably low impact
on echo responses while doing downloads on a 9600 bps dialup.

The beauty was, that you could make it work with *EVERY*
unix login (even through telnet!) as a vaniall user, no
admin rights required, not IP address assignment & routing config
issues, you simply compiled and started the daemon counterpart
on the remote end after login (doing I/O though stdin/stdout)
and all your local software would be sharing the IP address
of the dial-in machine.   Somewhat similar to virtual
machines sharing their hosts network adapter through NAT these days.

-Martin