Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

On Apr 4, 2012, at 9:39 23PM, David Meyer wrote:

>>> In semi-defense of that attitude, NAT (architecturally) _is_ a crock - it puts
>>> 'brittle' (because it's hard to replicate, manage, etc) state in the middle of
>>> the network. Having said that, I understand why people went down the NAT road
>>> - when doing a real-world cost/benefit analysis, that path was, for all its
>>> problems, the preferable one.
>>
>> NAT didn't really exist when the basic shape of v6 was selected.
>
> Perhaps, but that it would happen is obvious (even to the most causal observer).

I do not agree.  I remember discussing the concept with folks, a couple
of years before that; we agreed that NATs would be very challenging
because of the need for protocol-dependent packet inspection and
modification.  Add to that an underestimate of how long it would take
before v6 was adopted, and a gross underestimate of how large the
Internet would be -- remember, IPng happened before the Web explosion --
and it was very easy to ignore the possibility of NAT, let alone the
renumbering and (questionable) firewall benefits of it.  In retrospect,
sure, but in 1993-1994?  It was not at all obvious.