RE: RFC 6592 on The Null Packet

> From: Elwyn Davies [elwynd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> On 02/04/12 18:53, Scott Brim wrote:
> > On 04/02/12 03:12, Riccardo Bernardini allegedly wrote:
> >> In the Introduction I read
> >>
> >>    "Mind you, the Null Packet is not created by compressing a packet until it
> >>     disappears into nothingness."
> >>
> >> That is nice, since I believe that doing so would create a "black hole
> >> packet" that would attract and collapse the whole Internet.  On the
> >> plus side, we would not need to worry anymore about IPv6...
> > There's your RFC for next April.
>
> Of course some theorists believe that all communication links carry a
> continual traffic of Null Packets resulting from the scalar TOS Field
> that pervades the Internet and occasionally quantum fluctuations result
> in pairs of virtual packets (such as ICMP Echo and Echo Responses) being
> created and traveling off in opposite directions.  Normally most of
> these virtual packets recombine without being observed, but occasionally
> they result in unexpected congestion when an encounter with a router
> collapses the superposition of protocol states in which these virtual
> packets normally exist.

And by Hawking's Theorem, due to quantum fluctuations each black hole
packet will emit a radiation of packets (with a black-body spectrum!),
whose intensity will be *inversely proportional* to the length of the
black hole packet.  A black hole packet of any significant length
won't substantially affect a network because its radiation will be
very sparse, but as the packet shrinks to zero length, it will end its
life with a burst of intense packet radiation, causing network
congestion and, possibly, collapse, unless the router buffers are
large enough to store the burst.

I foresee the need of a large government grant to research this
problem.  (See RFC 439 for another vital, government-supported
research project.)

Dale