Re: Trade show at IETF

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     IAOC>   QUESTION: What do you think about doing a Beer and Gear
>     IAOC> style of event on an evening that does not conflict with other
>     IAOC> IETF activities?
>
> I think that hallway conversations, private meetings and other
> activities that people have already filled Sunday after the
> reception,Monday, Thursday and Friday with are more important.  I think
> this would make an already crowded event more crowded and while it might
> be useful would detract from other more important uses of the time.
> So, I am not generally supportive of this idea.

I find my self needing downtime when I attend an IETF meeting. Crowding
more opportunities into the schedule is possibly counter productive. But
as an experiment, seems useful.

Might thing about exhibit only attendees as well ... I frequently go
to trade shows for the exhibits rather than the sessions. Wouldn't travel
far, but I can see that being a valuable additional audience to
interest vendors?