Re: Query to the community -- An additional IETF Meeting event?

On 3/16/12 14:19 , Fred Baker wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2012, at 2:13 PM, David Meyer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Fred Baker <fred@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> The question I would ask is: "who are the vendors marketing to,
>>> and what are they selling?" At NANOG, that's fairly clear;
>>> companies like Cisco and Juniper, and resellers like Network
>>> Hardware, are selling to their customers, who are often technical
>>> decision makers or senior staff in companies that buy the stuff.
>>> The vendors that sponsor the event go home with business cards,
>>> which give them the opportunity for sales contacts after the
>>> event. Those people also come to IETF, but many others at IETF
>>> are from exactly those vendors, or from research and academia.
>>> I'm not convinced that the lead generation exercise, which is the
>>> vendor's reason for showing up and sponsoring the event, is going
>>> to be as useful for them.
>>>
>>> Not opposed to the experiment, but not sure that we're comparing
>>> apples to apples.
>>
>> While I agree Fred, what the beer'n'gear really provides is another
>> venue for our community to socialize (just like any other social
>> event).
>
> Of course, and socializing is a good thing. What I'm looking at is
> the reason for the vendor to sponsor it. When I come to your and my
> boss and say "gee, let's spend a few hundred thousand dollars in the
> general direction of ISOC/IETF", I have to scramble a bit to answer a
> long list of questions headed by "what's in it for me?" and "who's
> budget does this come from?". I think I can say what question I would
> be asked if I said "let's be a beer'n'gear sponsor". I'm not sure
> that the answer I would give ranks with the one NANOG might give.

I'm neither for or against it in the particular case but I have served
on the nanog pc so I have been involved in organizing events like this.

There are actual operators why buy actual gear and services, who attend
ietf meetings. We're soemthing of a minority. that's an audience.

I would expect the net needs to be throw a little wider eg around
service organizations, other SDOs, and other entities that want a low
pressure social environment in which to share information about their
products services activities recruitment efforts etc.