RE: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

Murray S. Kucherawy <msk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I looked at least at the titles of all the documents that update 1035,
> and none of them appear to be related to the above.  So where should we
> be looking?

The only thing I have found that implies NOTIMP doesn't apply to queries
for unknown RR types is in RFC 4074, "Common Misbehavior Against DNS
Queries for IPv6 Addresses":

4.3.  Return Other Erroneous Codes

   Other authoritative servers return a response with erroneous response
   codes other than RCODE 3 ("Name Error").  One such RCODE is 4 ("Not
   Implemented"), indicating that the servers do not support the
   requested type of query.

But I guess that NOTIMP *would* be an appropriate response if the request
is for an unknown QTYPE between 128 and 255.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Mainly northeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in southeast Fitzroy.