RE: tsv-dir review of draft-garcia-shim6-applicability-03

Yes, thanks.

> |  Section 4:
> |
> |     In order to configure source and destination address selection,
> tools
> |     such as DHCPv6 can be used to disseminate a [RFC3484] policy
> table to
> |     a host.
> |
> |  It might be useful to add a non-normative reference to draft-ietf-
> 6man-
> |  addr-select-opt.
> Sure
>

> |  Section 4:
> |
> |  The sentence ending with "properties exhibited by REAP." needs a
> reference
> |  to RFC5544, which seems to be the RFC defining REAP.
> Ok
>

> |  Section 7.7, "Shim6 and IPv6 NAT", the problem could be overcome by
> the
> |  Shim6 node knowing its IPv6 address after NPTv6 translation.
> Probably
> not
> |  worth adjusting the document, though, as NPTv6 is experimental.
>
> Well, this would not work for HBA, since in this case the addresses are
> fixed once generated.

NPTv6 does not change the host portion of the address (it only changes
the network portion -- the IPv6 prefix), so HBA should work with NPTv6.

> It could work for the CGA, since the Shim6 host could sign dynamically
> the
> translated address. But in this case a protocol would be needed to
> convey
> the translated address to the Shim6 node which has to sign it. A threat
> analysis of this operation should be performed, in order not to
> introduce
> new vulnerabilities in the process...
> As you suggest, I think this is not worth.

I agree, it can be discussed in a later document, should someone
find it useful to have Shim6 work with NPTv6.

> |  Section 7.7:
> |
> |     Note that an Application Level Gateway designed to modify the
> Shim6
> |     control packets would not be able to generate a valid signature,
> in
> |     case a CGA is being used, or a Parameter Data Structure binding
> the
> |     translated locator to the other locators of a node, in case a HBA
> is
> |     being used.  Therefore, the same failure cases described before
> would
> |     remain.
> |
> |  Applications are layer 7, Shim6 is layer 3, so an "Application Layer
> Gateway"
> |  that modifies Shim6 control packets seems an abuse of terminology.
> |  Suggest:
> |
> |  OLD:
> |     Note that an Application Level Gateway designed to modify the
> Shim6
> |     control packets would not be able to generate a valid signature,
> in
> |  NEW:
> |     Note that modification of the Shim6 control packets by the IPv6
> NAT

> |  ^
> |     would not be able to generate a valid signature, in
>
> Changed.

Thanks.
-d