Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

>> Sometimes an ASCII text record will be fine, in other cases, it probably won't.
>
>My point is as we move again towards multiple text representations of "the digit five" for example,
>both encoding and parsing is easier and more secure if that digit is really for example eight bits
>and not "text" that someone has to parse.

Unless you provision your DNS zones with a hex debugger, the digit
will always start out as text that someone has to parse.  The question
is who does the parsing, the DNS server or the application.  As I said
in a previous message, I can see plausible reasons to put the parser into
the application.

Would you really want to build an SPF or DKIM parser into every DNS
server?  That's a lot of code that the DNS manager doesn't care about,
but the mail manager does.

R's,
John

PS: For anyone who didn't read my previous message, I am NOT saying
that it's fine to overload everything into TXT.  I am saying that new
RRTYPEs that are text blobs interpreted by client software wouldn't
necessarily be bad.