Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

On 03/02/2012 10:48, John R. Levine wrote:
> Skipping over all the parts I agree with, and noting that two decades of
> telling people to upgrade their DNS servers frequently hasn't worked, we
> get to ...
>
>>> I'll also add one more point based on my experience with DNS
>>> provisioning system UI design, most of what you are trying to accomplish
>>> with your draft on the UI side can be handled with a simple text field
>>> in an HTML form that allows the user to enter free-form stuff that is
>>> then checked for syntax errors
>
> Checked for syntax errors?  By what?

Didn't you answer your own question further down in your own post? :)

But seriously folks, I really do understand what you're saying, but my
experience as both a DNS protocol weenie and as a designer/builder of
provisioning systems designed for non-DNS-protocol-weenie end users
tells me that your proposed solution is not likely to work in the (IMO
overly optimistic) manner in which you describe, and even if it did it's
the wrong solution to the problem.

If you want to discuss it further, dnsop is probably where that
discussion should take place, I've already repeated myself enough times
here.

Doug

--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough