Re: Last Call: <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer Priorities) to Proposed Standard

Barry Leiba <barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, it's absolutely true that if one is to define this sort of thing as a
> combination of SMTP protocol and message header fields, that should be done
> in a single specification.  What I'm interested in community input on is
> whether the mechanism of transferring the information back and forth
> between the two, and having SMTP protocol get involved in inspecting and
> altering header fields is a good thing.

   Heck, I owe Barry an honest reply...

draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07 states:
]
] This document allows a message priority to be tunneled through MTAs
] which don't support the PRIORITY SMTP extension by specifying how it
] can be represented in the message itself (using the MT-Priority
] header field).  Thus it is important to ensure that an MTA receiving
] a message containing the MT-Priority header field can trust that it
] was set by an authorized agent.

   ROTFL. It could come from literally anywhere, including MTAs you
wouldn't think are on-path.

   However, the draft continues:
]
] Such trust can be realized, for example, by using DKIM Section 12.1
] to sign the MT-Priority header field value, S/MIME, or by keeping a
] list of trusted senders (e.g. within a close environment) .

   This at least attempts to make the MT-Priority trustworthy.

   Myself, I don't think it's worth the trouble. DKIM positively invites
replay; I must be missing how S/MIME protects a header field; and lists
of trusted senders go out-of-date awfully quickly.

   I think tunneling like this is clever, but asking for trouble: and
I've seen too many instances of getting the trouble -- even without a
intentionally-bad actor.

   As to whether having SMTP protocol get involved in inspecting and
altering header fields is a good thing, that horse has left the barn;
nonetheless, it's error-prone and very vulnerable to bad-analysis in
the presence of known-bad actors.

   I believe I'd opt-out of paying any attention to MT-Priority.
Priority is fine along an unbroken path of trust, but IMHO should stop
at the first weak link.

   (Sorry, Alexey...)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>