RE: DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

The conclusion of Section 3.5 of that document doesn't really address the first bullet in the same section, namely that the user interface by which the new RRType would get added to a zone often doesn't support doing so.  That's turned out to be a serious problem with, for example, the deployment of the SPF record (RRType 99).

To accommodate user interface limitations, the RFC that defined SPF (2006) included use of TXT as a "backup" to enable a period of transition.  Collected evidence shows that a lot of clients do query the type, but fewer than 5% of participating sites ever publish it even after six years.

In an ideal world I'd also like to see us move in the direction that RFC5507 promotes, but it seems we still aren't there yet.

-MSK