Re: DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

On 24/Feb/12 19:06, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Friday, February 24, 2012 12:57:49 PM Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> How could you integrate a pre-allocated type when you don't know what
>> its format is?  If you knew how to do that, you could just deal with
>> unknown RRTPYEs, and then having TYPE99 wouldn't be a problem anyway.
>
> I'd give them all a format of text and if a protocol needs something more
> specific than that it can interpret it at the application level.

Publishing RRs requires proper formatting, though.  In most cases,
tools could work equally well without knowing whether a type is
registered or not.  They could rely upon symbolic specifications, see
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-levine-dnsextlang/ , leaving it
to sysadmins to install official specs.